Karen Shuler, PT, DPT
Case Study: Plantar Fascia Tear Treatment
25 y/o female Field Hockey with Plantar Fascia tear, sesamoid fx and entrapped nerve. Sport is played on artificial turf, requires constant running and frequent change of direction.
- Athlete suffered from chronic fasciitis for 6 months. Diagnostic imaging confirmed diagnosis of plantar facia tear with nerve entrapment
- Athlete elected to undergo plantar facia fasciotomy, great toe sesamoid excision and nerve entrapment release
Patient needed plantar fascia tear treatment.
Download Case Study
- Following surgical correction, incorporate de-weighting into rehabilitation protocol
- Develop a progressive return to activity
- Maintain fitness and function during rehabilitation
History / Progression
- Athlete was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and fx sesamoid
- Upon consultation with treating physician, a complementary conditioning program was developed incorporating the AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill® physical therapy equipment
- Along with traditional medical treatment; modalities, therapeutic exercise, joint mobilization, and NSAID’s, the AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill® was added to the treatment protocol
- Program duration was for 10 weeks
- AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill® was incorporated at week five of rehabilitation adding this element of physical therapy exercise once athlete was cleared for unrestricted weight bearing
- Athlete achieved desired competition goals
- Pain/ soreness levels were considered and used to gauge weight percentage and speed
- Athlete feedback was considered prior to each workout
- Pre and post workout pain was recorded
III. Progression Download Case Study to see table.
The athlete was released for return to sport by the treating physician after 15 weeks of rehabilitation. The athlete achieved the goals of the rehabilitation plan, incorporating a progressive sport specific conditioning plan to transition the athlete to full participation. The AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill® was incorporated into the athletes rehabilitation plan to maintain fitness, manage gait and progressively increase impact on the extremity.
The athlete resumed unrestricted activity 4 weeks after release from rehabilitation and continued using the AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill® as part of the conditioning program.